Freeroll Poker Sites
Freerolls poker sites are quite common, and it’s unusual to find a virtual card room that doesn’t offer them. In this article, we’ll look at the definition of a freeroll, the origin of the term, some of the advantages associated with the events, and our recommended Freeroll poker sites.
What is Freeroll?
A Freeroll is a poker tournament that doesn’t require the player to pay an entry fee. Almost all poker sites offer such events, and they’re a useful tool for bringing in new customers and retaining existing ones.
Who can play?
In some cases, the tournaments are entirely free and open to any player. Others, however, are only open to select players as part of a special promotion. Some even require points to enter, and this form of credit is earned on the site by playing real-money games.
Win real money with Freeroll Poker Sites
A large number of freeroll events offer cash prizes to the winner, while others provide free merchandise or entry into larger cash tournaments. No matter what the winner gets, freerolls are an excellent way for players to hone their skills and be eligible for prizes without dipping into their own bankroll.
Advantages of a Freeroll Tournament
If you’re considering taking part in a freeroll event, you should be aware that a number of advantages are associated with such tournaments. The following are some of the most notable:
- It’s Free – I suppose this one is a no-brainer, and it’s obviously the biggest selling point of participating in a freeroll event.
- Less Pressure – If you didn’t have to pay to enter, there’s less reason to worry about the outcome. This allows you to chill out and enjoy playing the games (which should be your objective in the first place).
- Great for Improving Skills – If you want to get better, there’s no substitute for practice. Free games are great for this, as they allow you to play against opponents of all skill levels without risking any cash. Since the pressure has been reduced, it also allows participants to pay more attention to their competition and pick up additional tricks.
- Encourages Experimentation – While you can still be eliminated from a tournament, there’s no cash penalty for losing. This frees up the player to try different things, and experimenting with new styles of play is one of the best ways to elevate the overall level of your game.
- Real Prizes – If freerolls offered no prizes, they would still be a great form of practice. When you throw in real winnings such as cash, merchandise, or free entry into larger tournaments, that’s when the advantage of such events should become immediately evident.
- Round the Clock Availability – No matter what time zone you live in, you should be able to find free tournaments scheduled throughout the day. This is especially important for Australian players, as their unique time zone can often create problems for residents playing on sites that cater to European gamblers.
Where to play Freeroll Poker Tournaments?
If we were discussing poker sites that accept American players, the list of options would be limited. The same applies to most categories, but freerolls and sign-up bonuses tend to be an exception to this rule. That’s because gambling sites rely on these offers to draw in new business, and it’s also helpful in keeping existing customers satisfied and coming back for more.
No matter what poker site you choose, you can bet they’ll offer free tournaments. This is especially true of all the industry leaders, and even smaller operations are smart enough to adopt this strategy. If you do manage to find a site without freerolls, I suggest passing it up.
The Origin of the Term Freeroll
Back in the 1950s when Las Vegas started to become the center for land-based gambling (and, most casinos were still run by organized crime). It was customary for patrons to be given a free roll of nickels upon checking into a casino hotel. This money was often used on the slots, with the hope that the customer would then dip into their own savings once the roll was used up.
This practice became well-known among veteran gamblers. Customers would often ask for their free rolls after arriving at their hotel. Over the years, the two words have been fused together and given their current meaning.
Not everything that glitters is gold
When online gaming establishments talk about bonuses, there’s usually some form of catch involved. In the case of poker sites with freerolls, however, the games are often just what they appear to be. By offering prizes and removing the entry fee, card rooms allow customers to enjoy a stress-free environment where their skills can be improved upon.
If you enjoy a casual game of cards with the potential to walk away with real money for nothing, then freeroll poker sites are the best option for you.